- - Tacoma, WA
- Full Time
McFarland Cascade, a Stella-Jones Company, produces treated wood products, including utility poles, lumber, composite decking, and more. The Tacoma, WA office is seeking an Accounting Manager to lead our team. This role will provide accounting support for the purchase and production of logs into utility poles.
The Accounting Manager is the financial lead for the US Peeling Production business including oversight of 20+ peeling locations and team of 9 professionals. The individual is responsible for transactional accounting, G/L accounting, cost reporting, timber accounting including multi-phase logging contracts, pole and log purchase, log sales.
The Accounting Manager works closely with woodland operations staff and management to ensure accurate job costing of timber harvesting activities (logging, road construction/maintenance, etc.) for internal reporting of P&L by land tract/Job. The position also works closely with Sr. Production Managers in reviewing pole manufacturing costs by species and location.
- Provide leadership support to team of seven
- Lead the month-end process including journal entry review, account reconciliations and cost reporting
- Review payment records for accuracy prior to weekly payments
- Financial accountability for 20+ peeling facilities in multiple states and wood species
- Review stumpage accruals and depletion rates
- Participate and lead in financial management meetings
- Inventory costing processes for accurate costing by species, per cube and per piece
- Variance analysis between standard and actual costs
- Create profitability reports by jobs, compare to budget
- Log sales reporting by species/sort/customer
- Provide ad-hoc support for foresters regarding accounting processes, contract review, status updates on contractor payments and financial reporting
- Coordinates annual inventory count at production yards
- BA/BS in Accounting
- CPA/CMA preferred
- 7+ years of timberlands or wood products experience
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Aptitude for team leadership – influencing and empowering others to achieve team goals
- Natural propensity for organization and an aptitude for information technology
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills.
• Annual bonus program
• Comprehensive benefits plans including
o 3 different medical plans to choose from
o Company paid dental and vision coverage
o Company paid life insurance policy
o Company paid accidental death and dismemberment policy
o Company paid long term disability benefits
o 401k plan with a company match of 150% on the first 4% deferred
o Robust employee assistance program
o Opportunity to purchase Stella-Jones stock through payroll deduction
• 9 paid holidays each year
• 2 weeks paid vacation the first year
• Paid sick hours and personal hours
About the Company:
McFarland Cascade a Stella-Jones Company is a leading North American producer and marketer of industrial treated wood products specializing in production of poles, railway ties and timbers as well as our Residential Products division which supplies treated lumber and some deck accessories to retail outlets. The company has 43 plant locations along with various other sales offices throughout Canada and the US. From our beginnings as a producer of poles and pilings in Sandpoint, ID in 1916, McFarland Cascade's future has been focused on continued research and development of the best ways to treat and preserve wood products. As we move into the future we are committed to sourcing and developing new products that will exceed our customers' expectations for all divisions of our company.
Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled